ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michele Laverty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:43:39 -0700

The Ag Science Center is part of a network working to develop  a network of biotechnology education in our area.  Our current emphasis on biotech curriculum and outreach fits well with what our county government is trying to understand under this grant.  We are seeking a consultant with biotechnology expertise to conduct a thorough analysis of the existing state of biotechnology activity in the region and the potential for future growth.  Areas included are:
·         Assess the current and projected future levels of biotech and biotech-related business activity in the region, including numbers and types of businesses, numbers of laboratory, research and related jobs.
·         Determine the employee skill sets and education requirements for projected biotech industry jobs.
·         Assess the current levels of biotech-related education activity in the region, and determine the extent to which the education outcomes match the local biotech employers˘ required employee skill sets.
·         Determine the local economic, workforce and infrastructure-related factors that are conducive to the expansion of biotech industry, and those local factors that could deter such expansion.
·         Identify which segments of the biotech industry have the highest likelihood of locating in our region while benchmarking other communities which have successfully achieved this goal.
Formulate strategies to initiate the development of curriculum and courses and career pathways (at all levels of education) necessary to provide the regional workforce with the skills necessary for employment in local biotech industry

If anyone has worked with a consulant in these areas please pass it on.
Michele Laverty
Director Ag Science Center
P.O. Box 4937
Modesto, CA 95352-4893
209-521-2902 office
209-604-4916 cell
Check us out on the Web at WWW.AGISAMAZING.com