ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Anne Gurnee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 13:54:52 -0700

Sharon,

Bill Hastie is my colleague and has many years of experience working on
water education related topics. I forwarded your query to him and he offered
the response below.

Anne Gurnee
David Heil & Associates, Inc.
Portland, OR
-----------

I don't think you can begin to look at a watershed "natural" system without
orienting to it on a map, preferably a three dimensional map. Additionally,
we have used a stream table effectively here in the Northwest to show stream
processes. None of this has to be, or perhaps even should be, high tech. The
ground water connection is often left out of the scenario, so some way of
showing that connection to the stream and watershed is important. We often
think of the natural system as plants and animals, but in reality the
streams and the watershed itself is in a way alive, and constantly changing.
The plants play a big role, and as recent research on wolves in Yellowstone
clearly show, all the animals including the top predators have a role in the
effects of those plants, particularly in the riparian zone. This is truly a
system of interconnected players, alive in total as well as individually.

As far as the differences in natural and human-made systems, Nature knows
exactly what it is doing. However, that can rarely be said for systems
designed by humans. Nature makes no assumptions, humans build everything
based on assumptions.

My two-bits worth.

Bill