ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marc Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:05:42 -0500

Many members of the public I have spoken to, and some of the opinion
pieces I have read, think that the idea is, in fact, to "build a ship on
the moon and then launch the ship from the Moon and go to Mars." That
was the impression I got from the first e-mail.

True, we're not going for a quick mission, but a long-term presence. The
idea is, yes, to prove technologies and techniques on the Moon before
trying them tens of millions of miles away. The idea is to establish a
base with gradually lengthening overstays and a gradually enlarging
infrastructure. The idea is to use the moon as a "jumping-off point" not
necessarily in a literal sense, but in the sense of a practical base of
knowledge.

What I am speaking to are these misconceptions of many people about what
this plan entails, and saying "yes, you're right, it doesn't seem to
make sense to do things that way, but that's not exactly the plan." In
painting concepts with a broad brush, I admit i'm glossing over a lot of
fine points, and not going into the details of orbital mechanics, as you
mention. Still, as a planetarium educator I've seen a lot of interest in
this, and I hope my colleagues in the informal science education
community can use my comments. I apologize if I have communicated gross
misconceptions myself.

I was not yet born when Apollo 13 had its brush with disaster, and so,
no, I was not listening when Kennedy spoke, through no fault of my own.
But I do know that space travel is probably the most difficult thing
we've ever tried to do, with the possible exception of tax reform. It is
not easy, not safe, not cheap, not simple; but I am by no means pushing
it beyond the scope of our endeavour because of this. If anything, I
have a hard time thinking a mere five or ten years into the future; I
always leap out to the next major glaciation or when the Atlantic ocean
floor starts subducting under North America again. (that's why I never
take vacations!) Space travel requires large-scale, long-term thinking.

Heck, without space travel, I'd be back to pointing out constellations
and little else...

Marc Taylor
Coordinator, Andrus Planetarium
Hudson River Museum