ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:55:55 -0800

Here are two resources for evaluation I would recommend to you.

Available through ASTC:  http://www.astc.org/pubs

Practical Evaluation Guide by  Judy Diamond
 AltaMira Press/American Association for State and Local History, 1999
 This guide to the principles and techniques for designing, implementing,
and presenting an evaluation project provides a framework for studying the
behavior and learning of people in informal educational settings. 192 pp.
#133   ASTC members: $20      Nonmembers: $22

Available from AAM:  http://www.aam-us.org/newbookstore/detail.cfm?id=443

Introduction to Museum Evaluation: Resource Report
Am Associ of Museums / Committee on Audience Research & Evaluation (CARE)

 What your visitors think is important! This collection of articles explains
how visitor studies can influence and improve museum exhibits, program
planning, and services. In simple language, the articles cover different
kinds of evaluation, from ˇ§front-endˇ¨ to ˇ§summative,ˇ¨ and discuss how to
convince decision makers of the merits of conducting evaluation. The
articles are supplemented with practical case studies that demonstrate the
benefits of evaluation in museums, and lists of reading materials,
organizations, and resources. 94 pages | pub date 1999
$24.50 (non member cost)    $18.00 (member cost)

They will provide practical recommendations and examples of doing
evaluation in a museum environment.

David Taylor
AHHA Museum Services
  "Now I Understand"