ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Thomas Twardowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 15:05:52 -0400

Hi,

I'm a plastics scientist, involved in college level education, but with some
industrial experience, too.

The application cited is pretty tough. Most 2-part resins, like epoxy, and
especially urethanes, or 1-part resins, like polyester (the embedding
material available in hobby shops) will be too "sticky" to the glass.
Urethane or polyester are likely to be the most durable, with polyester
being the more light-stable and easiest to obtain. You would probably have
to add an antiblocking (hard, slippery) substance to get the material to
slide well. Talc is usual, but that will probably lead to scratching.
Possibly of use would be to add powdered polyethylene or teflon to the resin
to create a hazy but non-stick surface that, with moderate polishing with a
fine-grit sandpaper, would probably slide pretty well without scratching
uncoated safety glass (Acrylic is probably out as a transparent surface. It
scratches very easily.) Fluorinated epoxy or urethane resins would probably
work, but these are rare, specialty resins and usually expensive.

Another approach is to dipcoat a hot magnet in powdered polyethylene, nylon
or teflon of desired formulation (that is, color and ultraviolet light
stability). The melting point of nylon and teflon would possibly cause
problems with the magnet (I'm not sure what the curie temperature of Nb
magnets are), plus are generally higher melting than is easily handled in a
safe manner. PE melts at about 120 C, safely accessible on a kitchen stove.
Finding PE powder is not hard, but not necessarily simple. You should be
able to request some sawdust from a plastics cutting shop, which should work
just fine.

Any further questions, by all means contact me.

Regards,
Tom Twardowski, Ph.D.

Thomas Twardowski
6725 Ridge Ave #206