ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Liza Rawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 13:07:13 -0400

Joanna--

The process we developed for naming exhibits is inclusive of all staff but ultimately puts the decision in the hands of the visitors. We have done this for the last four exhibits at BCM including our upcoming cultural exhibit "World Brooklyn" which explores the many cultures and people who make Brooklyn home. Our working title for the exhibit was "Things In Common" which did little to describe the exhibit. When we polled staff "Planet Brooklyn" was the favorite but proved problematic when tested with visitors for whom "World Brooklyn" was the clear choice.  Anyway we think it works well and it certainly eliminates infighting.

1. First we solicit ideas from the project team and the rest of the staff from development and marketing to maintenance.
2. Then we share the compiled list of potential titles with all staff and ask then to vote for their favorite top 5.
3. Testing with visitors step one:
	a. Set up a small table with a display describing the project and a bulletin board with the top five titles from the staff in the galleries.
	b. Have project team members invite visitors (kids and adults) to help name the exhibit. First briefly describe the exhibit and then invite them to vote for the title they think best describes the project and/or to offer an alternate title. (We give visitors stickers to put next to their pick.)  Ask them to explain their choice.  We try to talk with at least 50 visitors. Step 3 usually results in two clear title favorites and is a great opportunity to get feedback and input from visitors about the exhibit itself.
4. Testing with visitors step two:
	a. Armed with our two titles, we go back into the gallery and ask visitors what they'd expect to see, learn about, do, and experience in an exhibit called XXXX.  One visitor one title.  Usually we spend a half day testing each title over the course of a weekend and one week day.  This was when "World Brooklyn" clearly emerged as the title that best captured the intention and activity of the exhibition with children and adults. "Planet Brooklyn"  did so to a lesser extent but also triggered associations with natural science and Brooklyn landmarks/attractions.  Furthermore, adults were the only ones who preferred PB, children just didn't get it at all.

Hope this is helpful.  I'm happy to discuss further if needed!

Liza Reich Rawson
Senior Exhibition Developer // Project Manager
Brooklyn Children's Museum
145 Brooklyn Avenue // Brooklyn New York 11213
718.735.4400 x.151 // 718.735.4446 fax
www.brooklynkids.org