ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:13:11 -0400

Kristy,
Thank you for your interest in involvement in public education and outreach.
As Eric Siegel mentioned, we are currently leading an effort to illuminate
these opportunities for scientists and engineers and how informal science
education institutions can support and collaborate in these efforts.
I encourage you and others who are interested in meeting at the ASTC
Conference to contact me so that I might organize a meeting for all of us
there.
You may be interested in joining an online conversation on this topic at
www.astc.org/astc_connect (archives from the series are avaiable now and new
conversations will be starting shortly).
Our IMLS-funded project, VolTS, points to a number of ways research
scientists can become involved.
You may already be aware of opportunities through professional societies
(e.g., the Society for Neuroscience, www.sfn.org, has strong efforts and a
committee focused on public education and communication) and UCSD has a
tradition in this arena (my alma mater - I can help you make connections if
you haven't already).
Also, you may wish to try to organize something local - perhaps an event for
the Dana Foundation's Brain Awareness Week (http://brainweek.dana.org/),
potentially in conjunction with the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
(www.rhfleet.org).
ASTC Conferences have included scientists and engineers in the past (we have
invited several to serve on panels).
Incidentally, for presenters (including scientists) not employed by a member
institution, ASTC waives the registration fee for the day of their session
only; however, these presenters are requires to complete a registration form
and pay for any ticketed events that day.
Another way to learn more is to subscribe to the publication ASTC Dimensions
(see our issue on this topic:
http://www.astc.org/blog/2007/09/24/the-engaged-scientist-fostering-successf
ul-museum-researcher-collaborations/).
I look forward to hearing more about your interests (directly) from you and
from other scientists and engineers with similar interests.
Eric

Eric Marshall, Ph.D.
Vice President, Strategic Partnerships and Innovation
Director, TryScience.org and VolTS (Volunteers TryScience)
New York Hall of Science
47-01 111th Street
Queens, NY  11368  USA
+1(718)699-0005   x379