ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 2010 15:44:45 -0600

Good Afternoon Jason,
Here are some very short answers to your questions:
Q*         How do you acquire your speakers?
A		Usually.........Partnerships with local universities and
colleges, through our Associate Curator Program.

Q*         Do you and/or how do you review your speakers to ensure they
are appropriate?
A		Partnerships with local universities and colleges to
ensure appropriateness

Q*         What topics work best?
A		Museum decides the topics and then asks the speaker
(read: Associate Curator).  Museum picks speakers to augment its
mission-related programs (i.e. IMAX films, temporary exhibits, subjects
covered in the permanent exhibits, planetarium shows).

Q*         Do you provide refreshments, alcohol perhaps?
A		Yes, alcohol too.... depends if the program has an angel
sponsor.

Q*         How well attended are they?
A		Depends on the subject.  Varies between 50 to 200,
usually below 100.

Q*         Do you do web casts as presentations?
A		No

Q*         What format works well; traditional lecture, forum, panel
discussion, etc?
A		Traditional lecture with a/v to augment followed by a
reception to meet with the speaker.

Q*         What ages do you target?
A		Adult.... defined as over 18 years old (college age to
seniors)

Best Wishes,
Wesley
Wesley S. Creel