ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jeff courtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 14:13:32 -0500

I'm looking at several options to create a virtual 'presence' for a project
team that is scattered among several museums.

Since putting a 'back of house' section on our own website will cost, I
thought it would be a.) worth checking out other options and b).  polling
this listserv for their experience either pro or con.

The choices, so far, seem to be:

1.  A listserv (like this one), free or paid
2.  A more sophisticated product to create the virtual community, eg.
http://www.ramius.net/solutions-features.cfm
3.  A more vanilla website

This would be for an temporary exhibit project that will start here in
Mobile and then travel for the next couple of years.  There will probably be
only 20 people who will need access over the exhibits run, but just seems to
make sense to put all the information in a mutually accessible site.  I'm
leaning toward a web site.  For instance, suppose you have an article or a
picture you want to share with everyone, it would be nice to have that
central repository - not to mention the discussion list aspect.

any experience you would like to share?

Jeff Courtman
Exhibits & Special Projects Coordinator
251.208.6851