ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 19:08:59 -0400

We use a "science liaison" - a single person in each of our surrounding
districts who has been named by the superintendent as a conduit for
important information.  We try to keep this list very up-to-date.  In
many cases it is the science coordinator or the assistant superintendent
for curriculum.  We do try to enter every teacher who comes to
professional development or to an education program in a database, but
they move around a lot, especially in some of our districts, so the list
is of limited value.  When we do a grade-level contract with a whole
district, we ask the district for a current list of teachers.

Ultimately, however, when we want to reach all current teachers, our
best strategy is to go through our county-level system (called
Intermediate Units in PA).  They have a notice distribution system that
delivers to every building in their region and as long as we delivered
counted bundles, they do the rest.  The downside is that the delivery is
not personalized and is more likely to be tossed immediately.

David Smith
Director of Professional Development
Da Vinci Discovery Center of Science and Technology, Bethlehem, PA