ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Maija Sedzielarz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:03:06 -0600

Funny, we were just talking about this subject at lunch!
One of my lunch colleagues mentioned she was hooked on Diet Coke in
high school, drinking 5 cans a day and also had braces.  Sure enough,
the areas covered by the braces were indeed, more susceptible to
cavities, persumably since saliva didn't really do a good job of
cleansing those areas, and so the beverage residues may have been
held in the mouth for quite some time - she didn't mention her dental
hygiene routine.    I have also heard recently that if you are
drinking any acidic beverage (pop, juice, wine), you should not brush
your teeth right away, since the acid has reacted with the enamel and
the mechanical brushing action does have an impact on the enamel.

Waiting an hour after that wine to brush,
Maija

Coordinator, School Visit Programs
Science Museum of Minnesota