ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Heather Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2012 13:09:13 -0400

In our enrollment packet we request that parents share any information that will assist us in caring for their child while at camp.  If the parents are open with us we also try to have conferences prior to camp so that we can get feedback on how to handle specific situations that could arise or gain insight into caring for their child.  In these instances, we have had a lot of success when the parents have shared this kind of information.  We tend to get a lot of children on the autism spectrum.  Due to this, we have had groups come in to do trainings and teach techniques that assist the staff with caring for these campers. Also, we have brought in  contracted staff when we have a specialized needs such as hearing loss.