ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Karen Reeds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:17:31 -0500

Hi, George  If you'd like some historical perspective--the New Jersey
Veterans Museum (a museum-in-progress, not yet officially open) has
an exhibit case about Dr. Oscar Auerbach, a VA scientist whose work
in the 1950s was very important in demonstrating the damage caused by
smoking--his extensive research into the pathology, complementing the
epidemiological evidence, helped convince the US Surgeon General to
put the warning notice on cigarette packets.

You have probably seen the sets of contrasting lung sections--one
healthy/one black from cigarette smoke--that Dr. Auerbach sent out to
schools. (One set is illustrated and briefly discussed in my book, "A
State of Health: New Jersey's Medical Heritage," Rutgers UP, 2001.)

The NJVM exhibit is not for traveling, but we'd be glad to discuss
ways to share its labels and images if you want to create your own
exhibit.

The American Legacy http://www.americanlegacy.org  would also be a
good place to check for resources.

More power to you--all the smokers in my family are dead, and I miss them!

Karen Reeds  3/3/2004
Museum consultant and exhibit curator, New Jersey Veterans Museum
cc: Mary Therese Hankinson, Public Affairs, NJ Veterans Museum/VA NJ
Healthcare System