ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sally Middlebrooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 06:34:06 -0600

ASTC is exploring ways its members harness the experience and knowledge of
older adults who are looking for opportunities to benefit their community
(referred to in the literature as civic engagement, fostering sustainable
behaviors, and citizen science).

What are examples of ways you have involved older adults, individually and/or
as a group, in short-term and/or long-term projects that benefit the
community? (Note, the “project” may start at the science center or museum, say
as a pilot--a way to get your feet wet, and then go outwards into a
neighborhood).

By “projects,” I'll give you examples I can think of: researching, planning
and carrying out a recycling campaign; gaining the knowledge and skills to
conduct an energy audit or monitor the nearby river for pollutants; studying
the museum's impact on global warming.

What did your program and the process look like? Maybe it was
intergenerational; maybe it started with your in-house  corps of volunteers or
maybe you intentionally recruited from a wider population; maybe you teamed up
with a local or national organization.

If you want to respond to me directly, that's fine
([log in to unmask]). Whatever. I will return to ISEN with a summary of
what is shared.

Thank you and, on a personal note, it's good to be back in touch!
Sally Middlebrooks