ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Yuan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 2009 11:18:36 -0400

Hello,

As Beryl mentioned, The Tech Museum uses RFID tracking throughout the
museum.  It evolved from bracelets to wristband tags, given to every visitor
(over 400,000/yr).  This was the result of several years of research by our
Tech Department to reach a viable price point (contact: Mike Drennan).

The RFID tags allow visitors to save snapshots that can be viewed later on
the web.  These snapshots are in the form of photo opportunities, virtual
creations from exhibits such as Design a Bicycle, and in the Wet Lab, the
results of your genetic experiment.

In the case of the latter, the RFID tags were crucial in allowing visitors
to see the results of bacterial experiments that took overnight to incubate.
Using RFID tags, we were able to automate the process of taking hundreds of
photos per day of nutrient plates and posting them to visitors' unique RFID
websites. You can see the results from a visitor's plate of bacteria
producing glowing fluorescent protein (GFP):

http://tinyurl.com/cd3lyl
http://tinyurl.com/d4d45x

In addition, the RFID bracelets allowed us to track the number of visitors
to each RFID exhibit, as well as the path they took from exhibit to exhibit.

Overall, I think the main challenge of implementing an RFID system is
finding enough exhibit opportunities to support a complete overhaul of one's
museum admissions. And being dedicated to a threshold number of RFID
exhibits that allow visitors to get used to swiping their RFID tag to begin
an exhibit.

For small installations of just a few exhibits, I would probably recommend
printable bar codes.  They're familiar to use, and cheap.

-Eric

Eric Yuan
Exhibit Developer
Children’s Museum of New Hampshire