ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Martin Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:57:10 -0400

Ian;

As I recall the rotating stage that was developed at the Museum of
Science was part of a project and commitment by the museum to create
"equal" or near equal experiences for disabled visitors. I think
therefor there was no, as I recall and I wish someone from MoS would
chime in, means of jiggling specimens as you describe as visitors who
needed such a rotating stage might not not be able to jiggle the
specimen.

For other visitors, you suggestion is a good one.

Cheers,

Martin

On Oct 23, 2008, at 5:20 AM, Ian Russell wrote:

> Centers
> institutions.
>

> Just to spell out something that may be obvious. Any rotating
> specimen stage
> can be hugely improved by enlarging the hole in the central bearing,
> with an
> oversized retaining disk between the enlarged hole and the head of the
> retaining screw. Having rotated the stage to select your specimen,
> you can
> then jiggle it around in any direction, as far as the enlarged
> central hole
> allows. Being able to 'explore' each specimen rather than just swing
> it to
> left or right makes an enormous difference to the experience.
>
> I'm sure most people here know about this, but hopefully it was worth
> mentioning for the sake of anyone planning a rotating specimen stage
> with a
> 'neatly engineered' central bearing with no sideways movement. This
> is just
> one example of a relatively tiny interactive-design feature that can
> easily
> double visitor engagement time. Its all about degrees of freedom.
>

> Promoting public engagement with science
> through a contagious delight in phenomena
> *
> [log in to unmask] * http://www.interactives.co.uk
> *
> Give people facts and you feed their minds for an hour.
> Awaken curiosity and they feed their own minds for a lifetime.
> *
> Ian Russell

> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org
> .
>
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-
> Soft. To learn more, visit

Martin Weiss, PhD
Science Interpretation, Consultant
New York Hall of Science