ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chuck Howarth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:42:26 -0700

LEED standards actually are directly relevant to exhibit design.
There are  six separate types of LEED certification governing
different types of projects.  LEED NC covers new construction, but
there are also LEED EB for retrofits of existing buildings, LEED-CI
for commercial interiors, and three others.  All are based on earning
points for various sustainable practices—the certification is not
prescriptive, but rather offers the design team multiple avenues to
earn points.  One category for earning points is choice of materials,
which includes re-use of salvaged materials, recycled content, use of
regional materials (reduces need for transportation), use of rapidly
renewable materials, and use of certified woods.   There are other
categories that cover energy use, indoor air quality, water
conservation, design innovation, and more.  Many, though not all, of
these standards are directly applicable to exhibit design, and if the
exhibits are being created in coordination with new construction or
major renovation, it is possible to earn points through exhibit
choices that can be applied to the overall project goals for LEED.
But at the end of the day, LEED isn't about earning points but rather
about encouraging sustainable practice, so it certainly makes sense
to apply the standards even for stand-alone exhibits that don't
directly qualify for certification.

Chuck Howarth

Gyroscope has moved!  Please note our new address:
Gyroscope, Inc.
283 Fourth Street, Suite 201
Oakland, CA  94607
510-986-0111