ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mitzi Vernon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:48:59 -0400

All--
I thought I would just throw my 2 cents in--I use the PK method as
well in my product design studios, began doing it this year in fact. I
find it quite useful to compel the students to discover what is truly
essential about their ideas/concepts in addition to the more obvious
efficiency of presentation.

Mitzi Vernon

On Apr 21, 2008, at 12:54 PM, Sam Dean wrote:

> Centers
> institutions.
>
> Hey Kathy!
>
> I've been able to attend a couple of pecha kucha nights here in San
> Francisco, and I have to admit, it's a pretty cool process and ripe
> for using at places like ASTC where multiple presenters are sharing
> time.  It forces you to (a) focus on big ideas (b) move between
> ideas briskly and (c) think visually.  You can also tell who's put
> work into their 6+ minute session ~ if you're not really on top of
> it, the slides start to overtake your talk **quickly**.  Plus, you
> KNOW at the end how much time you'll have for questions & dialogue,
> or at least pretty darn close to it.
>
> Great ideas, Paul!
>
> Samsonite
>
> --------------
> Sam Dean
> Director - ExNet
> e x p l O r a t o r i u m
> 3601 Lyon St.
> San Francisco, CA 94123
> e: [log in to unmask]
> ph: 415.353.0442
> c: 415.509.4303
>

> On Apr 21, 2008, at 9:50 AM, Kathy Gustafson Hilton wrote:
>
>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology
>> Centers
>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
>> institutions.
>> *****************************************************************************
>>
>> Thanks for the insights, Paul, couldn't agree more. We brought up
>> the idea of a Pecha Kucha Night type event at the last ASTC
>> conference planning committee meeting. Bonnie had heard of it
>> through Walter Witchey and was interested in pursuing the idea. The
>> "night" format is 20 speakers, 20 slides for 20 seconds each. Seems
>> like it could also be used as a a fun and lively way to see a bunch
>> of other folks work while not being just a show and tell session.
>> I'm in for the Day Without PowerPoint! See you in Denver! Kathy
>> __________________
>> Kathy Gustafson-Hilton
>> Hands On! Inc.
>> 689 Central Avenue, #200    St. Petersburg, FL 33701
>> Tel: (727) 824-8988, x15        Fax: (727) 824-8572
>> Email:  [log in to unmask]        Web: http://www.hofl.org
>>
>> Hands On! Inc.
>>     Our mission:  making people enthusiasts.
>>
>> On Apr 21, 2008, at 12:18 PM, Paul Orselli wrote:

末末末末末末末末末末末末
Mitzi R. Vernon Associate Professor
Industrial Design Program
College of Architecture & Urban Studies