ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kathy Krafft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 May 2005 09:02:58 -0400

I have found that locating videos in the open near another quiet,
reflective exhibit where visitors linger a long time leads to a lot of
"grazing" as people look up, notice the video, and find themselves
watching parts of it.  Some visitors (<25%) will sit at the benches in
front of the video cabinets and watch an entire 2-7 minute fast-paced
video, but many more adults and kids "graze" and watch parts of the
video while seated nearby and tiling with pattern blocks in Tech City,
or using magnifiers with lots of samples in It's a Nano World.

The 7-minute video "Ask an Engineer" for Tech City was divided into five
~1 minute segments with a teen interviewing a different real engineer
(diverse, cool, and interesting engineers-- yes folks, they really
exist), so people could watch one or more segments.  It was also
fast-paced, carefully planned and scripted to appeal to our
middle-school target audience, etc. etc.

Kathy Krafft
Director of Exhibits
Sciencenter
Ithaca, NY