ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:54:04 -0400

In watching the demos on youtube, I realized that there are two
different things that you are showing that shouldn't be confused.
When you are using a pure sine tone, you are showing standing waves
and the resulting different pressure in different areas, not unlike
the classic explo exhibition done with styrofoam bits in a tube.  When
you are showing a full band playing rock or any music into the tubes,
you are still seeing different pressure at different points of the
tube, bt I guess that the areas of greater pressure indicate
frequencies in the recording that have greater amplitude at any given
moment.  It is much easier to use the pure sine tones for teaching the
physics of waves, but arguably more fun to use the tube as kind of
flame "light organ," if you remember those.

Eric Siegel
esiegel at nyscience dot org