ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:36:45 -0700

Hi Elizabeth,

I have had a fond place in my heart for the Pacific Science Center since
I first visited it back in 1977. Over the years I have visited it
several times, participated in workshops there and made many friends.
That feeling is part of my general love affair with the area around
Seattle. You are lucky indeed to work in such a beautiful place.

I think you are right. Allowing employees to choose the aspects of their
  jobs that they are willing to do, is a slippery slope. The original
posting indicated that that individual was on it, big time.

Most of us are very lucky to enjoy our jobs in and around science
centers. In fact, that is part of our 'benefits' package. When I was
offered a job at the Flandrau Science Center in Tucson, the director
there asked me what my salary was as director of exhibits at the New
York Hall of Science. He said there was no way he could offer me
anything near that amount. I remember quite specifically telling him
that the amount of salary was not all important, 'Joy is part of my
pay.' So I worked there for 9 years, my salary never equaling what I
made in NY. I did have a lot of joy - and also did a lot of things I
didn't care much for. Until the very end my 'joy' (and my meager salary,
and my health plan, and my social structure, and living in a beautiful
place - all part of my 'benefits package') outweighed the parts of the
job I didn't care for.

So, your 'two cents' are right on. Yet, it may be possible that you
misinterpreted the intent of my first message. Generally, when you have
an employee that's a screw-up, you give them the 'shape up or ship out'
speech. If they don't shape up you have to carry through and let them go
  - or not promote them, or give them fewer hours or find another
position more suitable, etc.

The original poster had that talk, yet saw little affect. The threat of
firing carried no weight, I propose, because a) the employees didn't
receive enough 'benifits' (wage, joy and job satisfaction, etc.) to care
if they were fired, and b) she couldn't carry through with firing
because she needed them. It's clear to me she's in a bind. She needs
those 150 'casual workers' more than they need the job.

You receive all the benefits of working at the Pacific Science Center.
You have your salary, meager though it may be, you work in a beautiful
city, you do work (mostly) that you feel is meaningful and important and
with that you carry a little prestige around with you. You can say, 'I
work at the Pacific Science Center,' and everyone says, "O, that's so
cool.' These are all benefits of your job that allow you to tolerate the
parts of it that are not so fun to do.

All I was suggesting in my original posting on this topic was that a way
  be found to give these 'lowly' (though 'mission' critical) employees
more 'benefits' in their job. Find a way of making the job more
'valuable' to them and they will likely do it better. For these young
people, wage is probably an important part of the mix, especially if
they have not yet completely bought into the 'for the good of humanity'
spiel that most of us older, more addle minded folks have. But a lot of
other things go into the total picture of 'job satisfaction.' They need
to be satisfied in their work, just like the rest of us.

Of course, you can't make someone 'love' their job, the way we all love
our jobs, right - we do love our jobs, don't we?

Joe R.