ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Bowditch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:13:40 -0500

Hi All,

We have the larger version Jonah refers to and I am in the process of
trying to make it as safe as possible. My concern is that Propane is
very hazardous. Larger cylinders like those used in BBQ grills are not
allowed by most fire codes to be inside habited buildings for extremely
sound reasons. Thus whatever you do, use the smallest cylinder you can
find. Use a regulator as well.

The tricky part is the tube itself. In our case it is about 3 inches in
diameter and five feet long. It has very small holes drilled in a line
at the top which presumably will work as a "flame holder" and thus
prevent flashback. However, I'm just the littlest bit edgy that under
certain circumstances the holes could act like a cannon's touch hole.
This could happen if there is just the right mixture of air and propane
in the tube, for example just after you turn the gas on and before the
tube has been purged out. This could lead to a most unpleasant
explosion. My thought is that this would vent out the end with the
membrane and thus be only loud but not truly dangerous.

Has anyone out there had experiences with this problem? Or am I just
being paranoid about this?

Personally I'm thinking of creating a spring loaded diaphragm holder
that would blow out easily in the even this should happen. Any advice
would be most welcome as this is a really neat demo.

John Bowditch