ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sue Ann Heatherly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 13:12:15 -0400

  Hi Amber:

I've used several of these products.  Blackboard/Elluminate are the same
thing -  I like this product for delivering web-based real time
professional development.  The audience can see me, my presentation. I
can share my desktop and go out to the web.  The audience can  chat, use
icons to respond to questions.  You can upload a simple powerpoint ahead
of time , negating the need to share a desktop and that makes things
much less laggy.  If you want your audience to be able to talk , that is
use voice over IP, everyone needs a head set..

But web-ex is very similar. I have never led a web-ex presentation, but
have been a participant. When I've been on a web-ex meeting , we usually
call in over a telephone line, and  someone shares their desktop for a
presentation.

As for project management, I have used Basecamp and do not like it.  The
way the files/discussions are stored it just isn't intuitive.  I was
always searching for things.  I prefer Central Desktop- better
organization,  you can work on a document together online, you can have
meetings, all in one place.

If you are a small group though, why not a Google Site - you have a web
presence, can share docs, and calendars, and can hold meetings with
Google hangout. And it's all free.

Sue Ann
National Radio Astronomy Observatory