ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lloyd Andy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:00:58 -0000

Ian, Regan

An observation from my "explainer" days:  when I was at Eureka (a Children's
Museum in Halifax, UK, similar to the Brooklyn Children's Museum) the best
Explainers (or "Enablers" as they are called there) were the ones who spent
a lot of their time kneeling down to be at or below children's eye height.
This changed the dynamic of any interaction and made it much easier to have
a 2-way conversation rather than giving a 1-way talk.  As an example, the
staff uniform there included black jeans, and I usually wore out the knees
of mine in a couple of months.

Andy

Andy Lloyd                              tel. +44 (0) 20 7942 4377
Development Manager             fax +44 (0) 20 7942 4383
Science Museum Solutions        www.sciencemuseum.org.uk

NMSI Trading Limited, Exhibition Road, London, SW7 2DD, United Kingdom