Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2013 09:26:35 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (103 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Without cleanup facilities, it does sound like plasticine or something like it would work best. My 2 cents, though, is that many types of plasticine are actually not that malleable--small hands (even 10 year olds') and older hands (like mine, and I'm not that old!) might have trouble. So test out some samples to make sure you've got something soft enough. Another thought--I'm not particularly germ-phobic, and am not in favor of antibacterials, but you might need to think about a way of sanitizing in between uses.

Sarah

On Jan 8, 2013, at 4:00 PM, Stein, Emily wrote:

> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> Thanks everyone for your responses so far! To give some further background, this is going to be a short, self-guided activity (10 min) geared towards teens and families (primary audience 10-18 years). It kind of builds upon the idea of piecing together fragments, but instead visitors will actually visualize and sculpt a complete pot from a few sherds and some reference images. The clay will be re-used throughout the day every time a new visitor walks up to the activity station. They'll be able to take a picture of their pot for posterity and share it with other visitors. We don't have readily accessible sinks in the space where the activity will be, so the less mess the better.
> 
> -Emily
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pobiner, Briana
> Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 3:36 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Sculpting material for potsherds activity
> 
> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> 
> Hey Emily,
> 
> I've posted this to my facebook account to see if any of my archy friends/colleagues have ideas. Someone said "The Fernbank Museum of Natural History outside Atlanta has a very cool interactive for kids with broken pottery pieces, but not the sculpting aspect. Might be a cool thing to "build" upon though." Another person (who works for the Smithsonian) asked what the age of the intended audience/user is?
> 
> I'll send you any more suggestions/questions. Seems like you've gotten quite a few responses already, very cool!
> 
> Briana
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stein, Emily
> Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 11:44 AM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Sculpting material for potsherds activity
> 
> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> 
> Hello all -
> 
> I work in education at the Smithsonian NMNH. I am developing a hands-on activity centered on reconstructing a piece of pottery from potsherds. Visitors will analyze the shape and size of fragments, then try to recreate the pot with a sculpting material, such as clay, to better visualize what the pot looked like. Has anyone had experience with a similar type of activity? What materials did visitors use to sculpt their pot? I thought that a non-drying modeling clay like Plasticine would work well. Please let me know if you have any recommendations for materials.
> 
> Thank you!
> 
> Emily Stein
> Office of Education and Outreach
> National Museum of Natural History
> Smithsonian Institution
> Tel: (202) 633-1704
> Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> 
> 
> ***********************************************************************
> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
> 
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
> 
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
> 
> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]
> 
> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
> 
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
> 
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
> 
> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]
> 
> 
> 
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
> 
> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
> [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2