ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tinsley Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 07:52:22 -0500

Paul,

I'm part of the team here at the Current Science & Technology Center at
the Museum of Science, Boston.  (www.mos.org/cst).   Our center, located
on the Museum's first floor, opened in spring of 2001.  We develop
presentations, exhibits, web content, and do cablecasting all related to
current research and PUR.  The content staff have advanced science
degrees and some of us have journalistic training which helps us know
the fields and interpret breaking news quickly for our audiences.  We
also have established critical partnerships with local research
institutions and some science journals.

As far as choosing stories, we try to use what's in the news as a hook
to connect with what people are hearing outside the Museum, but we also
choose research topics that don't necessarily make the news.  It's a fun
challenge to make the science accessible and exciting.  We see ourselves
as adding an insight and understanding into both the content and the
process of science.

As science centers move toward incorporating current research into
content, it will be increasingly important to have access to what
journalists call embargoed information.  Many of the top research
journals release papers to qualified writers/producers ahead of the
publication date.  In exchange for keeping the info under tight wraps
until a specified date and time, the writer has time to research the
topic fully and get up to speed.  Such access has not been traditionally
granted to museum staff who are not viewed as journalists.  CS&T is
trying to forge new ground in experimental partnerships with both AAAS
and Nature.  I've proposed an ASTC session with the president of the
National Association of Science Writers to help us learn more about
these aspects of science journalism and covering current science.

Best,
Tinsley

Tinsley H. Davis, M.S.
Current Science & Technology Center