ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:15:43 -0400

Thanks for this, Jonah. It's unfortunate that a "neutral" position on this
is felt necessary to, I'm assuming, avoid controversy. I'm trying to think
of what other reason there could be - to boost attendence? profit?! Because
someone in power at the museum happens to believe in Bigfoot? It would be a
great opportunity to talk about evolution and our understanding of science,
evidence, and so on, to distinguish between science and pseudoscience and I
doubt this would hurt attendence or profit. I always find the "FACT OR
FICTION?" banners far more intriguing than just the exhibit title.

Kids are going to enjoy this exhibit, I'm sure. But it truly concerns me
what it will do to their understanding of the world if they aren't presented
with the skeptical perspective. The Patterson film has been shown to be a
fake. The exhibit could easily present clips of the film as photos around
the television, showing clues that "detectives" used to "solve the mystery."

My idea of an exhibit of this sort would be not to force a skeptical
conclusion on the attendees but to at least present *all* the information we
have on the subject, or at least all sides. If museum personnel are
considering the idea that children and other attendees should be able to
make up their own minds about the validity of bigfoot claims, great, but
they should definitely show some factual evidence against the claims - faked
footprints, lack of physical evidence, our understanding of genetics, etc.

Perhaps this has something to do with Jane Goodall's support of Bigfoot
claims!?

At our new camp program this year we will be doing plaster casts that
resemble the many casts that are out there claimed to be the real thing.
We're going to show how footprints can grow in moist soil, how natural
markings / depressions in the soil can resemble a footprint or be
interpreted as such, and so on. We have a few of the "real" footprints
and... we have a large poster of a print made that was actually claimed to
be Bigfoot's bum. (I find this hilarious and I think the kids will love
looking at the print and comparing / contrasting it with what they know
about bums.)

In my experiences, yes, kids *love* paranormal subjects but even more, they
love to apply skepticism and discover, if possible, why these claims are
fiction, rather than fact.

There are so many wonderful possibilities for exhibiting pseudoscience and
the paranormal from a scientific, skeptical perspective. We keep thinking
about going after grants to develop the exhibits but right now we lack the
knowledge and people power to do so.

As an aside, when I hear the phrase "different ways of knowing" I think of
political correctness. Though I agree that art and philosophy afford us
different perspectives on thinking and add great value to our lives, I don't
think they are comparable to the knowledge we have built based on science
and I think it just serves to confuse the issue by claiming these are all,
equal ways, of attaining knowledge about our world.

Amanda

***
Amanda Chesworth, Educational Director
Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal
www.csicop.org
Inquiring Minds Program
www.inquiringminds.org
Skeptical Inquirer Magazine