ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charlie Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:07:33 -0800

Hi Eric,

Thanks for sharing the report.  It looks really nice and I like making.

I would observe however that I, and every scrap of research, that I know demonstrates that hands on learning is a vital component of human development (since before we were human) and that access to materials and unfettered options, and mentorship characterize liberty,freedom and brain development.  Is this something new and recently discovered?  Probably not; more likely it's not new at all. The report, unfortunately reminds of the "back to the land," get to our roots movement of 1960's and a host of past social engineering strategies that characterize and eventually stifle human and social development.

I think it unfortunate that report itself reflects a lack of balance and the smallest glimpse of historical perspective.  While I share many of the thoughts, observations, conclusions about the beneficial nature of hands on engagement and its relationship to science, engineering, and math, it seems unfortunate to cast the Maker Culture independently of its roots. It is more than a background. It is more likely than not that the development of the make culture and its focus in the Bay Area emerged from the presence of California's free-wheeling tolerant attitude, a young demographic UCB, Stanford, UCSF, the Exploratorium, expanding economy and wealth, and to wit the greater context.

Next it will be STEM and Burning Man.

All the best in the New Year,
Charlie

On Dec 28, 2010, at 7:40 AM, Eric Siegel wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> Many of you have asked us about the experience of partnering with the Maker Faire folks to put on World Maker Faire at NYSCI this past fall.  We hosted a nsf- funded symposium with Dale Dougherty and Tom Kalil of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy the day after the Faire and prepared a report.  You can grab a copy here:
>
> http://www.nysci.org/learn/research/maker_faire_workshop
>
> Happy holidays to you all!
>
> Best,
>

> Eric Siegel
> Director and Chief Content Officer
> New York Hall of Science
> 47-01 111th Street
> Queens, NY 11368
> (718) 699 - 0005 x 317
> www.nysci.org
>
> 1001 Inventions is coming to NYSCI
> December 4-April 25
>

> esiegel at nyscience dot org
> projects web site at http://www.etsiegel.net
>
> NY Hall of Science is on:
>
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/nysci
> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nysci
> YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/nyhallofscience

> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
>
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit

Charles Carlson
Senior Scientist
exploratorium
3601 Lyon St.