ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charlie Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:19:12 -0800

For what its worth, years ago we created a series of exhibits about
energy, heat and insulation.

One of the components was a house that reflected the amount of energy
input required to maintain a given temperature.  As heat was lost the
energy requirements went up (watts) and as the heat lost was decreased
the amount of energy would decrease.  Visitors could manipulate the
insulation levels, position, and other variables like solar warming
and wind.  The house was always somewhat warmer than the environment.

We also had various insulation materials and a heat source and
visitors could directly compare their insulation effectiveness through
comparative touch.

Most of it was instructive, but not particularly surprising or truly
engaging.  The house was neat.

Hope this helps,
Charles