ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lynn Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2011 13:51:59 -0400

Good topic. It is so important to respond the current events that impact the environment with science programming.

In our Saturday Science Lab, we
1. used this web site: http://www.ifitweremyhome.com/disasters/bp
that is supposed to give viewers a sense of the extensive area to which the oil was spreading.

2. we did the classic oil spill activity -- vegetable oil in water; participants are given different tools to try to clean up or contain the oil, they use detergent to clean oily bird feathers.

3. we discussed the similar coastal habitats and species in our local area (Queens, NY), the detrimental impact of the oil spill and the potential for the oil to reach this far away from the spill. I don't think it did, but there were predictions that we might see oil up here.

Hope this is helpful.

Lynn Cole
Queens Library, Children's Library Discovery Center
Jamaica, NY