ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Blair Clarkson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:04:10 -0400

Blair Clarkson of Ontario Science Centre responds to msg below:
Hi Jennifer (& all),
Regarding your interests in Robotics programs I have developed a variety of programs, competitions, events and workshops over the last 5 years at the Ontario Science Centre.  There is a very large culture of hobbyists, students, families and other public, ranging from children thru aerospace engineers interested in robotics activities.
Things we are now doing on an ongoing basis include:
-Space robotics events with NASA, CSA, MDRobotics on Canadarm 1 & 2, the ISS
-Partnering with FIRST Robotics on their Cdn Regional Kickoff each Jan.
-Robot Competitions including developing-growing the Eastern Canadian Robot Games from an idea 4 years ago to the largest public robotics competition in Canada this year (Nov 13-14) with us expecting over 150 teams from all over the World.  We've also worked for the last 4 years partnering with the Ontario College or Art and Design on their SumoRobot Challenge held in March which also features
many interesting categories including Dancer-Painter robots.
-Robot Building Workshops that we hold twice annually and have developed over the last 4 years. Our next ones occur Oct 30-31 and include 6 workshops of 20 families each who will build a working programmable and expandable mini-robot (from a box of parts in approx 60-80 minutes).  This is done with the assistance of 20 Corporate Volunteer-Facilitators (from Partner-Sponsor Celestica).  Families
are also assisted by 6 Community Police Officers and 3 ETF Robot Squad Officers who also help them use their completed robots in 7 activity areas including a Mars Habitat, a Robo-Art area, a Robo-Sumo area, a Robo-Maze, a Robo-Rescue (modeled on ETF Robot) etc...The families also get a demo of the ETF robot with its abilities to examine a suspicious package or rescue a person.  All families get
to keep their completed robots for later use, expansion, programming of at home or for school.  Partner ProAction provides funding for 40 dis-advantaged families selected via our local neighborhood schools to take part in these workshops and the other 80 families are from our Centre Member Families who each pay $75 for this experience.  (80 family space for our June 04 Member workshops sold out
in 6 hours from 1 email to our members and we are doing 80 more families from this waiting list now in Oct, 04)
Keys to make these activities work are:
-Corp Partner-Sponsor in Electronics or Computer Industry with willing staff-volunteers.
-Excellent, affordable, expandable, programmable robot kit: Tabrobotkit.com
-Do a family activity, gets parents & kids doing together, most amazed at their abilities
-Get Community partners, (ProAction like) local Schools, Police, ETF on side early.
-Ties into robot competitions, schools love, great hands-on sci-tech for future !

I hope this info helps you, Best Regards,

Blair Clarkson
Coordinator Special Events & Attractions
Visitor Experience Branch, Ontario Science Centre
Ph:(416) 696-3195  email: [log in to unmask]

(Jennifer's org msg)
Hi!!
Does anyone have a good robotics program at your center?  How is it
presented?  What exhibits do you have on robotics?  I would love to talk to
someone about your program.
Jennifer Tuxen
Director of Exhibits and Programs
Sci-Port Discovery Center