ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:07:02 -0500

In the mid 1980's I did an exhibit at the Brooklyn Children's Museum
using sampling and MIDI.  We used regular MIDI keyboards in wooden
enclosures to hide the buttons and sliders.  We also used something
called the Roland Octapad, which is a midi trigger in the form of 8
pressure sensitive pads, meant to be struck by sticks.  The keyboard we
used was an Ensoniq Mirage, which dates us a bit here, the first
consumer sampling keyboard.   Our theory was that if these things are
designed to hold up under rock n'roll road use, they probably would
survive a children's museum.  They lasted for over a year, as I recall.

I agree heartily with Jason that sound is a great way to do a whole
range of engaging science.  The Hall is developing a workshop now using
sound to explore the environment and physics.  It was part of an NSF
proposal which just got rejected, but which, based upon the comments, we
are planning to resubmit. We are going on with parts of the project
anyway, with private funding. If anyone is interested, I'd be glad to
share the text of the proposal.  We would welcome your feedback.  When
we resubmit, it would be great to have a lot of support.

Eric Siegel
Director of Planning
   & Program Development
Connections Project Director