Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2012 01:59:02 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (88 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

So, the only correlation I've got in my head, as far as studies have shown, is from the restaurant business (stay with me on this…).

Places that look empty aren't inviting.  Many moons ago, I worked in restaurants that would sit the first few guests that came in by the window so that the place looks more full (an empty restaurant is not a good sign); similarly, I've known bars to ask a few off-the-clock employees to come in for a drink just to make the place look more busy, lively. For the restaurant biz, it does make a difference in sales.  An empty museum can sometimes feel like a morgue; having some volunteers walking around and staff busy doing things can go a long way to making the place look more interesting and inviting.  If there's stuff going on, people feel like the place is more fun.  If there is someone there to engage a visitor, they are much more likely to hang around.

Now, this doesn't necessarily increase visitation, but is does perhaps increase the visitor experience to have the place look a little busy and be engaged by docents and staff, thus increase the likelihood they would come again, tell others, etc.  We were recently in California and looked in the window of a museum saw it looked very empty (not in San Diego, by the way, Paul – but when is the Fleet ever empty?), and didn't go in. We hadn't been there before, knew some about it but not much, but there was no one around and it looked very ominous and uninviting.

But that's all I got.

Tomorrow's Friday -
Carlyn

Carlyn S. Buckler, Ph.D.

Senior Education Associate
Paleontological Research Institution
and its Museum of the Earth & Cayuga Nature Center
Adj. Asst. Professor Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
State University New York, Oneonta
1259 Trumansburg Road, Ithaca, NY 14850
Ph: (607) 273-6623 ext. 25
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
www.MuseumoftheEarth.org<http://www.MuseumoftheEarth.org/>

On Sep 13, 2012, at 5:00 PM, Paul Siboroski <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 1:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>'
Subject: floor staff and increase attendance
I am curious as to whether there are any studies or data that correlate floor staff presence or gallery presentations to increased attendance (more floor staff, more programs = higher visitation).
All this talk of ways to increase attendance but I have not heard anything about how increased staff to visitor interaction can be a shown to affect gate revenue.
If blockbuster exhibits = increased attendance (that's the theory right?? HA!) can the same be said of blockbuster floor experiences?
Paul M. Siboroski
Exhibits Director
Reuben H Fleet Science Center
PO Box 33303
San Diego, CA 92163
For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended solely for the addressee(s) in the first instance
and may contain confidential information.  Please do not forward this email
without the consent of the sender.

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2