ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carlyn S Buckler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2012 01:59:02 +0000

So, the only correlation I've got in my head, as far as studies have shown, is from the restaurant business (stay with me on this…).

 Places that look empty aren't inviting.  Many moons ago, I worked in restaurants that would sit the first few guests that came in by the window so that the place looks more full (an empty restaurant is not a good sign); similarly, I've known bars to ask a few off-the-clock employees to come in for a drink just to make the place look more busy, lively. For the restaurant biz, it does make a difference in sales.  An empty museum can sometimes feel like a morgue; having some volunteers walking around and staff busy doing things can go a long way to making the place look more interesting and inviting.  If there's stuff going on, people feel like the place is more fun.  If there is someone there to engage a visitor, they are much more likely to hang around.

Now, this doesn't necessarily increase visitation, but is does perhaps increase the visitor experience to have the place look a little busy and be engaged by docents and staff, thus increase the likelihood they would come again, tell others, etc.  We were recently in California and looked in the window of a museum saw it looked very empty (not in San Diego, by the way, Paul – but when is the Fleet ever empty?), and didn't go in. We hadn't been there before, knew some about it but not much, but there was no one around and it looked very ominous and uninviting.

But that's all I got.

Tomorrow's Friday -
Carlyn

Carlyn S. Buckler, Ph.D.

Senior Education Associate
Paleontological Research Institution
and its Museum of the Earth & Cayuga Nature Center
Adj. Asst. Professor Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
State University New York, Oneonta
1259 Trumansburg Road, Ithaca, NY 14850
Ph: (607) 273-6623 ext. 25
www.MuseumoftheEarth.org<http://www.MuseumoftheEarth.org/>