ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jamilyn Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:37:55 -0500

Hi!
  We are in a very lucky position that we have two middle schools within one
block of our museum. One of those middle schools is actually our own charter
school, see http://www.exploris.org/learn/ems/index.html for more
information. So until we expand to other schools we simply walk over and
pick up the kids every day.
  As a shameless plug however, I do know that transportation will be an
issue that we discuss and brainstorm at the Upcoming ASTC RAP Session,
"Designing and sustaining a fee-based after school program" that we are
hosting at Exploris March 12 & 13 , 2004.
Good luck with your grant!

Designing and sustaining a fee-based after school program
An ASTC RAP Session for educators

Location: Exploris, Raleigh, North Carolina, U.S.A.
March 12 and 13, 2004
Contacts: Robin White, After School Coordinator: 919/857-1044;
                   Jamilyn Cole, Camp Experiences Coordinator: 919/857-1062
Web page: www.exploris.org

With enrollment more than doubling in its second year, Exploris's after
school program for middle school students will be the spring board for our
discussion. We will tackle many of the challenges that are faced by museums
no matter their size or type. Topics include budgets, staffing, programming
for different age groups, food, marketing, and community involvement. There
will be an opportunity to observe the Exploris program firsthand.

Exploris opened in 1999. Located in downtown Raleigh, it is the world's
first interactive museum about the world. Within the thirty-thousand foot
facility are a charter middle school, an IMAX theater, and seven permanent
exhibits (Exploris Journey Theatre, People & Places, Living in Balance,
Trade Works, Many Voices, One Voice: From the Pen of Anne Frank, and Tibetan
Portraits: Power of Compassion).

Students from two area middle schools attend Exploris's after school program
five afternoons weekly. Snack and doing homework are followed by working on
projects. Teens have focused on such themes as environmental sustainability,
global economics, communications, and making a difference in your world.
Activities in leadership development and performances by local artists have
also been part of the program.

Two ASTC-member institutions are located nearby. They are the North Carolina
Museum of Natural Sciences in Raleigh and the North Carolina Museum of Life
and Science, in Durham, North Carolina.

Jamilyn Cole
Camp Experiences Coordinator
Direct Phone: (919) 857-1062
Camps Hotline: (919) 857-1040
Fax: (919) 834-3516

For information on birthday parties at Exploris, please check out
www.exploris.org/visit/birthdays/index.html

Exploris
201 E. Hargett
Raleigh, NC 27601
Discover the power of IMAX!  Pulse: a STOMP Odyssey - Venture back in time
and across the country in Lewis & Clark: The Great Journey West.  Also
showing Matrix Revolutions and Disney's The Young Black Stallion.
Exploris is the world's first interactive museum about the world dedicated
to engaging people in our changing and interconnected world. More
information can be found at www.exploris.org .