ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:08:52 -0400

	In our recent e-mailings about evolution some touched on the
issue of journalistic fairness and balance, so I thought I'd pass
along the URL to a story in the Nov.-Dec. 2004 issue of Columbia
Journalism Review on balance in science reporting -- "Blinded by
science: how 'balanced' coverage lets the scientific fringe hijack
reality," by Chris Mooney:
http://www.cjr.org/issues/2004/6/mooney-science.asp.

	This was an issue in a recent Washington Post story about the
push to include Creationism as a reasonable alternative to natural
selection as a scientific explanation for evolution in school
biology/science classes. Many complained (including the paper's
science writers; he is a news reporter) to the reporter that the
scientific perspective was lost or not presented in his story and
therefore was not balanced. He answered, probably, correctly that is
was not a science story but a news story about pressure placed on
educators to change curriculum based upon faith based beliefs.

Martin
--
Martin Weiss, Ph.D
Vice President, Science