ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Jason C. Shafer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason C. Shafer
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 11:37:34 -0700

Hi Folks,

    I'm working on developing highly interactive science exhibits for the
Leonardo (art, culture, and science center) in Salt Lake City. I should mention
that the Leonardo will focus on the 11-adult ages.  I'm researching such related
questions as:
    1.How people learn from interactive exhibits in the context of learning
psychology. Is it a result of social interaction with other guests?, and/or do
they tend to individualize the concept in the context of one's personal
knowledge?
    2.What qualities make an interactive exhibit effective?
    3.What do you think is the most important factor in making an exhibit guests
can most effectively LEARN from?
    4.How do you get guests to spend more than 30 seconds at an exhibit and
become actively motivated to learn?

    I was advised to look through two educational publications, Journal of
Research and Science Teaching, and Science Education. Does anyone have any other
recommendations as to where to look? With respect to question 3, could you
please offer me an opinion? Thanks for your time and consideration.

 Regards,
 Jay

Jason Shafer
Graduate Student