ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ellen Giusti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 08:46:39 -0800

Yeah, Teri! It seems to me that the intensity of this discussion suggests
that our visitors might be almost as taken with the topic as we are.

Ellen Giusti

The scientific evidence of our  changing climate is overwhelming.
Gore's movie is not a political propaganda piece.  It is based on the
best scientific evidence we have in regard to Earth's climate.  Would
you ask this same question as you put forth support for evolution --
perhaps in a movie that shows the overwhelming evidence of the process
of evolution at work in our world past and present?  And if you did,
would you fear losing your non-profit status?  I think not. Funding?
Perhaps.

The movie is based on the best scientific evidence we have on the status
of our climate - not the best political or religious views of our very
complex but largely understood climate system. We have an obligation as
science centers to science.  When it is controversial, we have an
obligation to understand why it is so and convey that information to the
public in any of a number of ways.  Among the scientific community, the
debate about climate change is over.  Let's avoid adding to the
confusion at the very least.

Teri Eastburn