ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Blair Clarkson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 2013 20:14:29 +0000

Hi all,

We at the Ontario Science Centre have been exploring and developing ways of using robotics to engage and excite visitors in STEM.  On this past Nov. 9th we held our 5th annual Robots Rule event featuring 10 external partners ranging from all levels of FIRST Robotics, plus University robotics groups plus Mars Curiosity Rover researchers and Educational robotics companies.

I wanted to share with the listserv info about a New STEM Education robot that was shown for the 1st time at our event and may be of interest to many folks trying to engage and excite visitors around STEM and its relevance.

This New STEM education robot called "Jade" was being demonstrated at our event and was an instant hit, easily usable by  youth, parents and teachers.  Everyone was able to quickly create and execute complex movement programs plus obtain spectrometer readings of any substance.  "Jade"  is pre-built as an educational robot with an on-board programming interface and advanced sensors including a  working LED reflectance spectrometer ! (a simple version of what the Curiosity rover uses on Mars.)

This instant and high level of engagement opened the doors to visitor discussions on a huge range of science and technology subjects including: robotics, Curiosity working and exploring on Mars, the electromagnetic spectrum, spectroscopy etc, etc.

This was such amazing fun for everyone as well as such an advance from what has traditionally been available (LEGO & VEX robotics etc) that we ordered  Jade robots instantly (at $349 each) for our on-the floor use with visitors and we are also exploring various robotics workshop options.

This is a powerful new tool to help us reach, inform , engage and excite our visitors of all ages in STEM and its relevance.

Further information about the New Jade STEM Education Robot is available at:

www.mimetics.ca<http://www.mimetics.ca>

Best Regards,

Blair Clarkson

Programs Coordinator

Science Experience Branch, Ontario Science Centre

Ph:(416) 696-3195,    Cel:(416) 676-9427

www.ontariosciencecentre.ca<http://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca>

Give children facts and you feed their minds for a minute...

Awaken their curiosity and they feed their minds for a lifetime !