ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 16:11:13 -0700

Kim,

In May of 1983, I created the "BioCorner" Embryology
Exhibit at Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium and
Institute of Popular Science, where chicks [and
occasionally ducklings] were hatched each weekend,
year-round. I was Curator of this rather unique
exhibit, which quickly became one of the most popular
exhibits in the building [particularly for young
children], for four years.

I have written a history of this exhibit, which
includes details of operation as well as some of the
problems encountered, at the History of Buhl
Planetarium web site at this link:

<
http://buhlplanetarium4.tripod.com/biocorner/historybiocorner.html

I do want to caution you about one thing: bird flu.
Had you asked about starting such an exhibit a yaar or
so ago, I would have recommended against it, since at
that time bird flu seemed imminent.

Today, bird flu does not seem as great a threat.
However, that could change quickly.

If and when bird flu reaches North America, I would
STRONGLY recommend that a chick-hatching exhibit
immediately be suspended, until such a time that bird
flu is no longer a threat.

If bird flu reaches North America, and you have a
chick-hatching exhibit in your institution, there will
always be a certain percentage of people, particularly
parents, who will avoid your institution, quite
literally "like the plaque" !!! It will not matter if
you try to publicize that the chicks you hatch are
considered safe, or if you eliminate all visitor
contact with the chicks [which, under normal
circumstances, would partially defeat the purpose of
the exhibit!].

Even if you try to publicize how safe the exhibit is,
first of all there will always be people who do not
receive your publicity. If people know that there are
chicks in your institution and bird flu reaches North
America, there will always be a certain percentage of
people who will want to take no chances, and hence,
will stay away from your institution.

I certainly hope bird flu never reaches North America
so you do not have to deal with this issue. Good luck
on your new exhibit. After reading the "BioCorne" web
page, feel free to contact me with any further
questions.

gaw