Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2013 11:05:43 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (64 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

In a similar fashion I remember the first time I encountered the sound of a rattlesnake in the wild. It was a big Timber Rattler in upstate NY and I heard it before I saw it. I had never experienced the sound live and it had that  "hard-wired" effect.  I froze in place despite the chills running up my spine.  And I was the kid who collected snakes right and left and generally had no fear of snakes so it really surprised me.

Erich

Erich Rose Design
807 The Living End
Austin, TX 78746
512-626-9930; [log in to unmask]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/erichrose/

On Oct 29, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Charles Carlson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> http://www.the-scientist.com//?articles.view/articleNo/38053/title/Snakes-on-a-Visual-Plane/
> 
> Hi All,
> 
> A very cool observation and discovery that's consistent with my experience, and probably others of you as well.  About 15 years ago, I was jogging on a hilly trail in the East Bay.  My pointer sweeping the ground around me.  As he crossed the trail several feet in front of with a single bound, I instantly saw a snake, a gopher snake reveal below her leap. She paid absolutely no attention to it.  For me however, I came to grinding halt with an almost neon snake against an earth background.  It was like it had been silhouetted.  I did a quickly processed snake identification, and deftly leaped over the snake.  I so vividly remembered the event.  
> 
> What surprised me more than anything was how quickly I had picked up the form of the snake, and how oblivious my dog had been.  How could we be so different.  Well, it turns out it may be a unique inherent aspect of our primate visual systems.
> 
> C
> 
> 
> 
> Sent from Charlie Carlson's iPad
> [log in to unmask]
> Cell 510-499-8086
> Try me on Skype (510) 984-3543
> ***********************************************************************
> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
> 
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
> 
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
> 
> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
> [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2