ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mike Shanahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2010 15:03:40 -1000

Hi all,
Two items if you are heading Honolulu way:

1. Bishop Museum web site: If you are planning to attend the annual ASTC conference in our fair city this October, Bishop Museum has an ASTC segment of its web site that provides useful information on dining, provides web sites of other Oahu attractions, and other useful visitor information.
http://www.bishopmuseum.org/special/astc2010.html

2. Guidebook: In terms of a good guidebook, I would strongly recommend Lonely Planet: Hawaii as an overall Hawaii travel guide.  Overall, whether at home in Honolulu or on the road in Buenos Aires, I've found Lonely Planet to be the most consistently reliable guidebook. LP was my Hawaii guide when I was a fresh-from-Seattle newcomer 11 years ago, and the current version is still the book that I pull out when I have guests coming to the islands.

When I did a survey earlier in 2010, several other standard guides had not been updated since fall 2008 and therefore were woefully out of date, especially in the wake of various restaurant closures, changed museum hours etc. in the wake of the recession.  The most recent Hawaii Lonely Planet guide is the 9th edition and was updated in Sept 2009.

PS: I've been assembling some information for various ASTC 2010 attendees on hikes, travel tips, etc.; please feel free to contact me off the list serv if you have more specific questions.

Mike

Mike Shanahan
Director of Education, Exhibits and Planetarium
Bishop Museum
1525 Bernice Street
Honolulu, HI 96817
Office: (808) 847-8235