ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Barthelow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:25:07 -0700

Greetings from a New List subscriber,

I joined to seek wisdom on how to develop a great instrument/tool of science and science outreach, that some have called a museum piece. My team has other ideas, beyond the Museum piece idea. We would rather put it to use, in ADDITION to making it a sort of remote Museum Piece, and science outreach tool.
I include extensive information about the Photogenic and powerfully capable Science tool, the Jamesburg
Earth Station, brought out of mothballs over the last 2 years by volunteers, and now used for very exciting moon bounce radio communications, and available for science outreach.

We plan to use the existing fiber optic connectivity to the earth station, to make it internet remote controllable, for science, and also for sharing experiences with (particularly) young people. We will bring kids to the operating position, either in person, or via internet, and have them cast their voices to the moon, and hear it return, (2.5 seconds later) after a speed of light round trip. With a little luck (and planning) they can achieve a 2 way voice conversation with another ham radio operator somewhere on earth, via moon bounce. It sends chills up adult scientists spines when they realize what is actually going on, and should do so for kids, and maybe nudge them to science based careers.
Some of the moon walking astronauts plan on doing some moon bounce fun at Jamesburg, soon, also, and we hope to have some kids under their guidance, participate, and to film it.

What I wonder, is, if any of you have contact with James Burke (my hero on TV) the producer of the
"Connections", "Day the Universe Changed" and other fantastic TV Science Creations ?

Mr Burke recently visited a science museum in California and his visit was covered in the local media.
I bet he would be a great asset/ally in any science museum endeavor. We would love to get him to sit
at the radio at Jamesburg, and have him do a moon bounce radio contact/demonstration.

All the best,
Pat Barthelow (916) 315-9271
Project Manager
Jamesburg Moonbounce Team

Some more information on Jamesburg from some of my Moon bounce team, here:
Our website:
http://www.jamesburgdish.org

Google Maps Image: http://www.maps.google.com
Type in: Comsat Rd. Carmel Valley CA
or:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Comsat+Rd,+Carmel+Valley+CA&sll=36.397727,-121.649487&sspn=0.009137,0.015879&ie=UTF8&ll=36.401303,-121.647985&spn=0.009136,0.015879&t=h&z=16

Web Portfolios of Jamesburg:
Brad's Portfolio:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jawayetti/JamesburgEarthStation
San Diego State Portfolio:
http://citi.sdsu.edu/gallery/projects/jamesburgearthstation/photoalbum_view
Rex's Portfolios
http://www.xertech.net/Jam_pics1/Dish1a2.html
http://www.xertech.net/Jam_pics1/Dish1a1.html

You tube Video of a Moon Bounce Contact from the Vertex Room of the antennas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y7v8up211E

The Dish Lat/Long is:
36 24 11 121 38 50 NAD 83
Dish, Birdbath position
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/904/100_0907.JPG
and:
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/911/IMG_3042.jpg

Secondary Reflector
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/911/IMG_3072.jpg
Dish, on Post to the Intelsat Satellite
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/912/P6030124.jpg
Dish Face
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/912/P6030036.jpg
Jamesburg ATT switching room, now empty; One of several.
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/911/IMG_3051.jpg
On the Dish, at the phase center, feed horn under the covers
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/911/IMG_3074.jpg
More action on the dish surface
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/911/IMG_3073.jpg
an Diego State Visualization Center, Dr Rasmussen Jamesburg

Pictures slide show From Dr Rasmussen:
http://citi.sdsu.edu/gallery/projects/jamesburgearthstation/photoalbum_view
Dish Drive Cabinet with Interlock Cabinet
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/911/IMG_3056.jpg
Vertex Control Computers
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/911/IMG_3059.jpg

Azimuth Gearbox/Clutch system, 1 of 2
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/911/IMG_3065.jpg

Azimuth Gearbox/Cluth System/Low power backup motor
drive/Hand Crank
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/911/IMG_3066.jpg

Drive System Decouple, by removing Chain/Master link
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/911/IMG_3082.jpg

Work Party, Azimuth Limit Switches
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/911/IMG_3067.jpg

Jamesburg ATT switching room, empty; Inspection
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/911/IMG_3051.jpg
Elevation Drive Pinion Gear
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/911/IMG_3089.jpg
Safety Pin and actuator;azimuth gear
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/911/IMG_3084.jpg

http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/910/IMG_4070s_rasmussen.jpg
Understructure
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/910/IMG_4074s_rasmussen.jpg
Brian Opening the Hatch
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/910/IMG_4094s_rasmussen.jpg
Pat thru the Hatch
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/910/IMG_40 98s_rasmussen.jpg
Dish Understructure
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Portals/8/Gallery/910/IMG_4119s_rasmussen.jpg
Here is a Website picture gallery location, with large
portfolios of unsorted pictures:
http://www.longandflatsociety.com/Galleries/JamesburgEarthStation/tabid/466/Default.aspx
Pictures from Late 60s, during construction:
Concrete Trucks, Foundation Pour
http://www.comsat-history.com/albums/Jamesburg/Jamesburg_Dec_11_1967_Pouring_concrete_for_antenna_footings.sized.jpgFooting
http://www.comsat-history.com/albums/Jamesburg/Jamesburg_Jan_12_1968_Footing_of_antenna_bldg_forms_for_ant_lower_pedestal_foundation.sized.jpgPedestal
http://www.comsat-history.com/albums/Jamesburg/Jamesburg_Jan_23_68_Antenna_mount_with_foundations_for_antenna_bldg_in_foreground.sized.jpgPedestal