ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:37:25 -0400

We all know this world in a slightly different way, if you want me to see
the world as you see it the most effective way is to understand my world
first rather than ridiculing, belittling or dismissing my beliefs.

Thanks,

- Len

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this, Len. When I work with people my
goal is simply to present them with enough information as I am able. What
they do with this information, the conclusions they reach, the beliefs they
hold, is their own business.

Though you may not directly challenge your patient about smoking each time
he visits I suspect you have literature readily available about the hazards
of smoking and how to get help quiting. I believe this is one of the most
important forms of education. This is how museums do it, primarily. The
individual then takes an active role in receiving and investigating that
information and I have found this much more effective than other ways of
receiving information. I also think a person who is able to make up their
own mind after exploring the information themselves, is far better educated
than an individual who may just parrot what he or she encounters in life.
Thoughts, belief, knowledge even.. they are much more precious and lasting
if you reach or attain them freely, at your own pace and through your own
choice.

Amanda