ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bonnie VanDorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 08:59:39 -0400

Dear Informal Science Educators:

As you know, our field has been abuzz since an article appeared in the New
York Times on March 19 asserting that "several Imax theaters, including some
in science museums, are refusing to show movies that mention evolution-or
the Big Bang or the geology of the earth-fearing protests from people who
object to films that contradict biblical descriptions of the origin of Earth
and its creatures." During the days that followed the publication of this
article, more stories and opinion pieces appeared in other media.

ASTC has been following these developments closely and has been in touch
with member museums and other organizations that share our dedication to
science learning. As an organization of science centers and museums
dedicated to furthering the public understanding of science among
increasingly diverse audiences, ASTC supports our members in their ongoing
educational work. Evolution is a major unifying concept of modern biology,
and as such holds an important place in efforts to broaden interest in and
understanding of science.

We welcome the discussion that has taken place on ISEN-ASTC-L. In addition
to being the field's most lively forum for discussion, the listserv and its
archive have proved to be an invaluable resource for science center
professionals who sought a central place to congregate, react, and
strategize while crafting a response to what appeared in the Times and
elsewhere.

We are also creating a place to talk about the issue at our May 1-2 Board
retreat; heads of all ASTC Governing Members are invited to attend. ASTC is
also working with the American Association for the Advancement of Science
(AAAS) and others to create opportunities to address this issue at the 2005
ASTC Annual Conference. We continue to look for additional ways to address
the issue, which clearly is part of a larger continuing concern, and to
support members in their educational work.

Bonnie VanDorn
Executive Director
Association of Science-Technology Centers