ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:05:11 -0400

Also a native (and current) New Yorker, I recommend staying in Queens in a
hotel near the 7 train.
(Queens is the section of New York City just east across the river of
Manhattan)

Not only is Queens cheaper that Manhattan, it's a cool place to
explore -- contemporary art museums, incredible food, etc. It's a quick
ride to manhattan (about 30 minutes to AMNH from my neighborhood,
Woodside) and you can take the 7 train in the other direction (20
minutes) to visit the NY Hall of Science if you're so inclined.

I recommend you do a travelocity hotel search for hotels in
"Queens, NY" (discalimer - i've never stayed in any of them, i live
here) The Queens neighborhoods you'd want to stay in (listed in order
of proximity to manhattan) are Long Island City, Sunnyside, Woodside -
the closer it is to Queens Boulevard, the closer it is to the subway.

Neighborhoods that are a longer commute to Manhattan are
Jamaica, Bayside, Whitestone, Flushing and any hotel that is right near
either LGA or JFK will not too conveniently located either. (the upside
being the further from Manhattan you stay, the lower the room rate)

Enjoy your trip!
Nora

--
Nora McCartney