ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carey Tisdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:03:18 -0500

Jennie,

Yes, ideas of rigor evolve. Patton makes the point that the Gold
Standard itself collapsed because of rigidity. In a nut-shell, when
findings developed with strict control are "loosed" into the natural
world with unlimited numbers of interacting variables which can effect
dependent variables, then they don't hold up. They can also produce
unexpected side-effects, some minor, but some major ones. The first of
the references I posted below is a PowerPoint where Patton discusses
these issues. It is a PowerPoint of a presentation he made. The other
references are from the Zelik team.

Actually, Patton notes that drug testing goes through four phases (RCT's
are Phase 4) and all four phases are needed for rigor (including the
small sample uncontrolled correlational studies where effects are
identified). The final phase involves RCTs. Actually, I was the one
extending the argument that RCTs don't provide adequate rigor for drugs.
I take a drug was put on the market without investigation of what
happens when people stop taking it. It is safe to take (well, as far as
anyone knows), but the withdrawal effects are quite substantial. There
is no commercial impetus for investigation of withdrawal--actually,
there are commercial biases that support NOT finding methods of for
withdrawal. Patton does not criticize this area of drug trials. I do. I
think the arguments for rigor posed by Zelig would have helped prevent a
very daily effect of the application of science in my own life. :-)

If you will look on p. 84 of the first reference I posted you will find
the rigor attribute model. This alternative model does not throw out
traditional ideas of rigor. But remember when those ideas initially
evolved, the wide-spread application of all sorts of research findings
not part of the cultural context. Philosophers of science were making
claims that the purpose of science is to produce knowledge and practical
application should not be considered in judging quality or value.
Culturally, in that era and in this one, this claim provides the freedom
for exploration and scientific autonomy that researchers need. On the
other hand, this is a claim can lead to ideas of rigor that are
inadequate for the natural world contexts.

I really don't want to dismiss the implicit criticism of the earlier
(and ongoing) remarks from Charlie and Eric about evaluation. But, I
believe that the appropriate response is not, as they suggest, to stop
doing evaluation but to get a better concept of rigor and use it-- to
really look at our own work.  Those of us who do social science really
need to raise questions when methods developed in physics and chemistry
and medicine are imposed on us. These are higher prestige areas of
science, and this itself is a cultural and historic artifact.
Certainly, scientific research in these areas have salient areas of
application, particularly for warfare between nation states and in
industry. Yet the methods which developed authentically from social
science (including testing multiple-hypotheses against the evidence and
triangulation as ways to reach conclusions) may actually be more
rigorous and provide stronger and more reliable evidence for decisions.

Jennie, I hope that clarifies my statements. A listserv is a difficult
place to discuss rigor. But, the topic came up and a discussion of it
requires some real thought and consideration. It is NOT a closed
question and the concept does continue to evolve. I think this rigor
attribute model is somewhat difficult to grasp--maybe that is a
disadvantage of it. I am not advocating adopting it, but discussing it
as an alternative and using the concepts that help us do better and more
useful work.

Best regards,

Carey

Carey Tisdal