ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Fred Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:05:39 -0800

Hi Wayne,

That's an ideal size for a small streamtable. You can rig it with a
recirculation pump and a garden hose with a ball joint at the end to
control flow. If you put a small hole at the bottom end of the table and
have it drain into a large and deep roughneck-like container, you can put
your recirculation pump into the container - on a stand above the bottom so
it doesn't suck up sand.

Put sand and Yuba River-like mini landmarks in it and it can make a nice
exhibit or a prop for programs.

(Thanks again for the suggestions last weekend)

Fred

Well, all this prompts me to ask about a small 6' by 3' table that I
built to accommodate some water exhibits. I found that the water we had
in the museum was such a low quality that it became difficult to
maintain the idea of the table, which was mostly oriented towards
physics. We get a lot of small kids, so maybe some use of sand and water
could be effective. Any ideas for such a small table. There is no way to
get water to the table other than bring it there in a bucket.

Wayne

Fred Stein
Science Educator
Exploratorium Institute for Inquiry