ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Len Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2009 09:10:54 -0700

I'm not sure how well they'd work, but Panasonic makes some pretty quiet fans that put out around 80cfm or more through a 4" pipe.

 - Len

>>> On 5/28/2009 at  8:59 AM, in message
<[log in to unmask]>, Tom Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> [...]
> to know) that placing a tennis ball at the aperture magically lowered
> the noise while only slightly reducing the height at which the ball
> flies.  The blower was also housed in a box lined with acoustic foam,
> fitted with air filters  on the intake to avoid sucking in strings and
> such and a grill on the outlet to keep coins etc from being dropped in.
>
> My preference, to avoid all that bother,  is to forgo the heavier
> balls usually used, and go with balloons and a small quiet ventilating
> fan.   Yes, you will need to replace the balloons constantly, but
> then, beach balls don't last very long either -- and anything more
> durable takes considerably more air to lift.
>
> Lastly, for all that it has been replicated over the years, I don't
> think the "Bernoulli Blowers" is a particularly rich exhibit, compared
> to the "air play table" you also mention.  The latter doesn't really
> need much air to be effective.  Here, for example, is a wonderful
> alternative, also from the Exploratorium, that uses just a window fan:
>
> http://www.exploratorium.edu/pie/library/windtubes/index.html
>
> quietly,
>
> Tom Nielsen
> www.TheExhibitGuys.com
>
> On May 28, 2009, at 7:17 AM, Erich Rose wrote:
>
>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology
>> Centers
>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
>> institutions.

>> For an "air play table" or a Bernoulli blower what would you suggest
>> as a minimum air flow? CFM? I have used different fans in the past
>> with different results. More often than not they were used squirrel
>> cage fans that we had laying around and had a wide variety of
>> outputs.  What I am looking for is some feedback from others about
>> what they found worked best.
>>
>> --
>> Erich Rose
>> Exhibit, Environmental and Industrial Design
>> 807 The Living End
>> Austin, TX 78746

>> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>> and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>>
>> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at
> www.exhibitfiles.org
>> .
>>
>> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-
>> Soft. To learn more, visit
>> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
>>
>> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
>> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to

> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the
> Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at
> www.exhibitfiles.org.
>
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information. It has been scanned for viruses. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Any dissemination, use, review, disclosure, or distribution of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal.