ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Donna Winston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2012 10:09:39 -0800

Hello everyone,

I'm writing to see if anyone knows of 4th or 5th grade teachers who have access to a class set of iPads and would be interested in a FOSS-aligned science curriculum supplement developed through a NSF Discovery Research K-12-funded project. The project,Leonardo, is an intelligent cyberlearning system that is delivered to 4th and 5th grade students through the CyberPad app that the project team at North Carolina State University is developed. For background information, I pasted in information from the recruitment flyer at the bottom of this email.

Please feel free to either email ([log in to unmask]) or call (510-302-4273) if you have any questions about the project.

Thanks,
-Donna

Leonardo Project Information

What is the Leonardo Project?  The Leonardo project is a grant funded by the National Science Foundation (DRL-1020229) to use iPad-based electronic science notebooks and embedded curriculum designed to support student’s scientific content knowledge and argumentation skills. The goal of the project is to provide students with authentic physical and virtual lab experiences to learn scientific content knowledge through inquiry-based experiences that support data analysis and the construction of evidence-based arguments. The software and curriculum builds off of 4 years of elementary science classroom research and development.

Who is involved in the Leonardo Project?   Researchers from the Computer Science and Mathematics, Science, and Technology (STEM) Education at North Carolina State University, and teachers like you.

Who can participate in the Leonardo Project?  Any teacher who educates 4th or 5th grade science and has access to a classroom set of iPads.  Currently, we only have curriculum to support an Electricity, Energy and Circuits curriculum, but more units will be available next year.

What will my students gain from the Leonardo Project? Currently, this is a rich curriculum that supports the learning of concepts around electricity, energy and circuits. The iPad® software, the CyberPad, provides an electronic science notebook platform for students to explore science phenomena and concepts via virtual and physical labs. Furthermore, students have access to a “virtual assistant” (the male or female CyberMate) who supports their science learning. The software is meant to complement popular kit-based science curriculum, such as FOSS™, though your school does not need to have adopted this curriculum to participate in the 2013 Spring pilot.

What do participating teachers receive each year?
-6 hours of professional development in science annually (2013-2014).
-A stipend ($200), every year (2013-2014).

What do I need to do every year?
- Attend a 3 hour PD session and complete 3 hours of asynchronous PD
- Implement the 5 classroom days of activities (approximately 50 minutes each)
- Distribute and collect consent forms

If I am interested, what should I do? Email the Project Coordinator from North Carolina State University, Angi Shelton. ([log in to unmask])

--
Donna Winston, PhD
Research Associate

Phone: 510-302-4273