ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stephen Uzzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2011 10:19:56 -0500

Thanks, Eric for bringing this up. The notion that people are fabulists has been in the literature for awhile. Claude Levi-Strauss talks about the equivalency of science and myth in the human mind and more recently Steven Pinker has argued pretty persuasively over the years  that humans have an instinct for storytelling and gossip (which transcends culture). If something doesn't fit and we have no knowledge to the contrary we make up stories to fill the gap--none of this is evidence-based, but based on the idea that we have an urge to resolve the tension between cause and effect (which Michotte argued for in the 60s based on research with infants). When something goes bump in the night, we have to decide whether its God, a faulty bedspring, ghosts of dead relatives or the cat. As we start to make patterns out of these ideas and start to link them all together (but, most importantly, never tested or necessarily identified the real cause), we start to have belief systems. "Of course thunder in caused by little men bowling up in the clouds, what else would it be?

But as Levi-Strauss suggests, because people don't understand what science is, and do not have the prerequisite domain knowledge to understand complex explanations, they become science stories that are pitted up against religious myths, and they don't seem different in people's minds. For most, science might as well be miraculous.

Stephen Miles Uzzo, PhD.
VP, Science & Technology
New York Hall of Science
47-01 111th Street
Flushing Meadows Corona Park, NY 11368 USA
V +1.718.699.0005 x377
F +1.718.699.5227